3.11.2012

Chai concentrate for a spiced tea



If you are reading this blog regularly may have noticed that I like spices. I confess, I love them. All the majority. I learned that all serve in their measure to improve a dish, give it as an added value. 
Some I didn´t like them before, like cloves, but if used sparingly gives a refreshing taste.


I have my spice plants on the balcony, which I paid little (very little) attention. I wish I had more room and better. Lavender, for example, didn´t enjoy living in our house more and slowly died.
I have to replace it.


Many years ago, well not so many, I became familiar with chai tea in London, sold in a booth at a fair. I did not try it, my budget was low and try something unknown from pot was not my thing.


The chai tea, chai masala the proper name because chai, in Hindi and other languages, means tea. But widespread use of the word for tea with milk and a mixture of spices.


You can use spices you prefer or have on hand, there may be more or less, but for me can´t miss: cardamom, ginger, cinnamon and cloves. You can also add black pepper, star anise, fennel seeds or kummel, nutmeg, etc.


So if you like tea and some of the spices that named above, have to try this recipe, which comes in small packages, and reaches to about 30 cups of tea. And condensed milk can do this.


 

Chai Concentrate

Condensed milk 150 g
Ground cinnamon 1 tsp
Ground ginger 1/2 tsp
Ground black pepper, pinch
Ground Nutmeg, pinch
Ground cardamom 1/2 tsp (14 seeds)
Cloves 7


- Grind the spices that are whole, as thin as possible, with a mortar or crushed with a rolling pin
- Mix in a bowl with condensed milk
- Pack in container with lid- Keep in the refrigerator up to 6 months.


The amounts and spices are by way of example, to give an idea.


 

(In the direction of clockwise, starting from the bottom the one with the least amount: nutmeg,

black pepper, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves)

To use just have to make the tea you like, add the regular sweetener and add a teaspoon of the concentrate. And I will come out the perfect chai tea.


The jar from this recipe I gave it to my mom, who became a lover of spicy tea like me. So if you want to make a gift, with a label and instructions for use, it´s perfect!

Now I have to prepare more for my tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...