This is a fall dessert: bananas, chocolate, coconut and the "porteño" ingredient, dulce de leche, sweet milk or caramel milk. Usually, when I look at the name of a dessert and see that says "upside down" I feel it`s too difficult to prepare, or that I'm going to burn myself or that I´ll have to clean a lot, but this dessert is nothing like that.
I made the recipe as-is from David Lebovitz blog. I always make his banana pudding, but adding chocolate chips, it seemed perfect as a dessert for dinner with my brothers. I accompanied with a cream of coconut, which has a mild and fresh taste, and also dulce de leche, because bananas + dulce de leche is a classic pair impossible to ignore.
Chocolate and banana upside down dessert with coconut cream
Inverted cake and chocolate banana
Brown sugar 100 g
3 ½ ripe bananas (for the top)
30 g butter
Lemon juice ½ unit
210 g flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp fine salt
150 g common sugar
30 g butter
Egg 2 units
250 g mashed bananas (they are 2 ½ banana) for the dough
Vanilla yogurt 120 g
½ tsp vanilla extract
80 g chocolate (I mixed half chocolate chips andf half cocoa nibs)
- Melt the sugar in a pan. Add the butter.
- Pour mixture into a pan of 20 x 20 centimeters (can be round, too) and let cool.
- Cut the bananas in 1 cm thick, mix with lemon juice and sugar to put in the pan with an orderly manner.
- To make the dough, mix dry ingredients (flour, leavening powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, sugar)
- In another bowl, mix melted butter with the eggs, mashed banana, yogurt and essence.
- Mix solids with liquids, until flour disappears and pour over bananas.
- Bake at 180 ° C for 40 minutes or until done in center.
- Allow to cool for half an hour and unmold. We must not let it cool down a lot, because the caramel that formed will be stuck to the mold.
250 g cream
Dry grated coconut 10 g
40 g common sugar
- With one day in advance put in a container coconut and cream, and mix it
- Cover the container and store in refrigerator. The cream will absorbe all the coconut flavors.
- The day you want to use it, put the cream in a sieve to extract only the absorbed liquids. Do not throw away the coconut.
- Mix the cream, ½ teaspoon of coconut and sugar and whipped it
- Put the remaining coconut on a plate with silicone or parchment paper, spread it thinly with a spatula and take it to the oven to dry and brown. Set aside.
To serve, you can warm the cake a little, serve with the coconut cream and dollop of dulce de leche.
Of course, if you don´t like coconut it would go well with cinnamon or none of this.