5.08.2012

Mixed Berries and Nibs Crumble Cake



Memory is something that sometimes does not help me, I realize that the 30´s are starting to show details of factory.

I don´t know how it started but, somehow I felt like eating mixed berries in a cake for breakfast or maybe as snack.And I guess one thing led to another and here we are.
With a cake to honor a friend or yourself, to enjoy, and feel like you need another portion. It's a cake you won´t forget by the tasty mixed berries, the aromatic spices, the moistness and crunchiness (yes, both at the same time).



While I was eating this cake for breakfast, looked at her and thought that this portion could have been sold in any pastry in B.A. But no, I did it, and I can eat whenever, whatever and however I want.
Sometimes we don´t recognize how good are the things we can do, and go to buy it outside.

When I go to any of these places and get disappointed, like yesterday´s restaurant with an apple pie that was more for the trash that for our table, it makes me so happy when I get to do good things with my hands.

Enough of such nonsense, then what is important:







Crumble Cake Red Fruits and Nibs
Base dough
Pastry flour 140g
Baking powder 1 1/2 tsp
Cardamom 1/4 tsp (9 pods)
Ground ginger 1/4 tsp
Salt 1/4 tsp
Unsalted butter 50g
Egg 1
Milk 50 g
Vanilla extract 1/4 tsp

Filling
Greek yogurt 100 g
Common sugar 30g
Egg 1
Mixed berries 150 g

Crumble
Pastry flour 125 g
Common sugar 100 g
Ground ginger 1/2 tsp
Baking powder 1/4 tsp
Pinch salt
Unsalted butter 90 g
Cocoa nibs 20 g

- Start preparing the crumble, mix the dry ingredients with cold butter, and make a sand with the fingertips, until all the butter is mixed with flour
- Keep in the refrigerator
- For the filling, mix all ingredients and keep in the refrigerator
- Prepare a cake pan of 24 cm in diameter, buttered and floured
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- To prepare the base of the cake, whipp soft butter and sugar together
- Add the egg, milk and vanilla and mix well
- Mix the dry ingredients and incorporate them into the liquid
- Spread the mixture in the cake pan. It may seem like a small amount, but it´s ok
- Move around the edges making a defense with the crumble (see photo below), as when we did with sand on the beach, so the filling does not touch the sides of the pan
- Pour the filling and distribute the fruits evenly over the surface
- Cover with the crumble
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out barely moist for fruit juices
- Let cool and unmold



The red fruits are difficult to obtain in this city, and as it´s not my intention to do something elitist, I propose to try tasty fruit in pieces, like mango or peaches. Although we are not in season, canned peaches will work, but a bit of sugar has to be removed from the filling.

Before finishing with this post, I have yet to mention that Greek yogurt can be replaced by cream cheese. And the cocoa nibs, for almonds, hazelnuts or nothing.

All that said, I have no words to add, but basically, I'm going to eat another piece of the cake and enjoy being at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...