Olive Oil and Lemon Cookies (no butter)
I hope you do not scare with the "olive" in the title, keep reading because these cookies are really good and easy. Sometimes it happens to me, don´t know about you, that I like a recipe, but it calls for a weird ingredient, and then I don´t do it because of this weirdness. And the recipe keeps witing me in my to-do list.
I have several of those.
This is one of those recipes, because of the olive oil. I never made a lot with this oil. Surely a focaccia, once a failed attempt with a sweet tart (yuck!). The key is the variety. One that is not very strong, of course it has to be virgin, from first pressing.
If you don´t usually have it, can use the one you like. Or mix some olive oil with a neutral . If you have sesame or walnut can put a few drops to scent it .
But do them. They are very soft, except when bitting the sugar grains of the coating.
Lemon and Olive Oil Cookies
Olive oil 160 gr
Sugar 100 g
Vanilla extract 1 tsp
Lemon zest from 1 lemon
Lemon juice 2 tbsp
Flour 350 gr
Baking powder 1 tsp
Baking soda 1 /2 tsp
Salt 1 /2 tsp
Optional 1 tsp dried thyme (can add more to taste)
In addition, sugar for coating
Yields 32-36 cookies
- Mix oil with sugar
- Add the egg, vanilla, zest and juice. Mix until blended. If you put any herb or spice, this is the moment
- Sift flour with baking soda, baking powder and salt and add to mixture.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and flour a oven pan.
- Make walnut size balls and roll them in sugar. Place on pan and press a little
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, when the base is brown